2 Auto Insurance Coverage Types To Add To Your Policy

One of the mistakes that many people make when purchasing auto insurance is trying to skimp as much as possible on coverage in order to save themselves a bit of money. However, the problem with only going for basic insurance is that it can leave you at risk for a number of other problems, such as your car being damaged outside of an auto accident. Listed below are two types of auto insurance coverage that you should consider adding to your policy. 

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

One of the biggest risks that you can run into on the road is being struck by one of the many irresponsible people who have chosen to risk driving without any insurance coverage at all, or who have chosen to drive with insufficient coverage. When you are struck by an uninsured driver, you will run the risk of having to pay for all of the damages to your vehicle and the medical bills for yourself and your passengers on your own. Sure, you can attempt to sue the uninsured driver for damages, but that can be a lengthy process and may not help you at all if the uninsured driver is broke. 

However, uninsured motorist coverage will pay for those damages and injuries caused by an uninsured motorist and will often include coverage for any lost wages that you and your passengers may experience as a result of the accident. Underinsured motorist insurance works in a similar fashion to uninsured motorist coverage, but is designed to cover any shortfalls in the insurance coverage utilized by the person who struck your vehicle. 

Comprehensive Coverage

While basic liability insurance coverage is a great resource when you are involved in an accident, it is not very useful if your car is damaged by means other than an auto accident. For example, comprehensive insurance coverage can cover you in the event that your car is damaged as a result of a natural disaster, such as an earthquake, hurricane, or flood. In addition, comprehensive coverage can also cover repairs to your vehicle, such as repainting the body or replacing a window, if your car has been broken into or vandalized. 

Contact your auto insurance agent, like Northeast Insurance Agency, today in order to discuss what coverage he or she would recommend for your vehicle. Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage and comprehensive coverage are great additions to your policy that can extend your insurance protection beyond simple collision or liability coverage.